- May 16, 2019
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Uncategorized
Use these grilling tips to ensure a safe Memorial Day barbeque!
Memorial Day is almost here and many of us are preparing for the long weekend ahead and commemorating those who have served in the military. Memorial Day often marks the start of summer – which means the start of grilling season.
To keep your Memorial Day barbeque safe, here are a few simple tips to remember:
- Place your grill at least 10 feet away from your home, garage or trees.
- Don’t use grills in a garage, on a porch, deck or on top of anything flammable.
- Never use a propane grill on a balcony, terrace or roof. It is illegal and dangerous.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing that may catch fire.
- Keep children and pets away from the grilling area.
- Assign someone to grill – meaning that they are responsible for keeping an eye on the grill and the food.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or buildup from the grates and in the bottom tray.
- When lighting your propane barbeque, make sure all the connections are secure and open the lid and strike your match before turning on the gas.
- In the event of a grease fire, never attempt to extinguish it with water. It will only cause the flames to flare up. Use an appropriate fire extinguisher.
- If you smell gas as you’re cooking, turn off the gas tank and burners.
- Never leave the grill unattended.
These tips can help you prevent grilling accidents over Memorial Day weekend and beyond. When you’re looking to protect your property as best you can contact your insurance professionals at AimPro Insurance. Our dedicated experts are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.