Top Causes of Electrical Fires in Homes

Common culprits of electrical fires at home.  

Unless the power goes out, we don’t think too much about the electricity coursing through the wires in the walls and ceilings. But your electrical system could be harboring problems that threaten both your property and your life. Fortunately, many electrical fires are preventable if you know what risks to look out for. Here are the most common causes.

Old appliances.

Appliances that don’t meet modern safety standards or have frayed cords or damaged plugs are one of the biggest causes of home electrical fires. Older appliances draw more power than today’s outlets are built to handle. Damaged cords can heat carpets, curtains, floors, and other combustible surfaces. If you have dated appliances, consider updating them.

Extension cords.

Although extension cords are generally safe when used correctly, they can become dangerous when too many appliances are plugged into a single cord. This can overburden the outlet if it’s not designed to handle that load. Be mindful of this when you’re getting your home decked out for the holidays.

Light fixtures.

Lamps and other lighting can pose a danger when the bulb’s wattage exceeds the fixture’s suggested limit. Lamps with cloth or paper shades can start fires when the material gets too hot. Antique lamps and older fixtures may have damaged wiring, too, that makes them overheat. Always replace outdated lamps and check the maximum bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp.

These tips can help you prevent electrical fires in your home. When you’re looking to protect your property as best you can contact your insurance professionals at AimPro Insurance. Our dedicated experts are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.