- December 22, 2015
- Posted by: AimPro
- Category: Article Archives
Whether you’re traveling to see relatives, driving home for Christmas, or flying to the beach for Christmas day, you’ll want to ensure that your home is left safe and sound.
A vacant home can be awfully tempting for thieves as well as posing fire and electrical risks from being left alone. While you’re away on vacation is possibly the worst time a household calamity can strike.
Use these basic safety tips to leave your home accident-free over the holidays:
- A simple, yet crucial, task is to ask a friend, relative or trusted neighbor to check up on your house while you’re away. Ask them to bring the mail inside, put out the trash, water your plants, and make sure all is well with your home!
- While you may be tempted to boast your Mammoth vacation plans all over social media – don’t. In this age where information is so easily accessible, anyone can see that you’re heading out of town for two weeks, leaving your home unattended.
- Notify the police before heading out on vacation for longer than a week. It’s possible that the officer on patrol will swing by your house to check up on it.
- Put a few of your inside lights on a timer so that they turn on and off automatically. From the street, if lights are on, typically it means that someone is home to turn them on.
- Place a “stop” order on mail and newspapers if your friend isn’t picking them up for you. Nothing says “no one’s home” like piled newspapers and an overflowing mailbox.
- Unplug your television, computer, toaster, and other appliances to protect them from power surges – plus, it saves power!
- Shut off your water while you’re away to prevent leaks, pipe bursts, and any other flooding that could occur!
When that’s all said and done, you’ll want to check (and double check) that the oven isn’t on, the key isn’t under the doormat, and that all of your luggage is in the car before you head out!
Homeowners insurance can protect your belongings and home when you’re not there to. Contact Aimpro Insurance in Phoenix, Arizona for all of your insurance needs today!