- March 16, 2016
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Article Archives
Try this traditional Irish soda bread recipe to complete your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations!
Everyone has their favorite Irish soda bread recipe. Some include caraway seeds, some with raisins, some with both, and some plain. However you like your bread, the recipe below is a traditional Irish recipe and is perfect for St. Paddy’s Day!
Whip up this loaf today!
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a heavy ovenproof 10- to 12-inch-diameter skillet with 2- to 2 1/2-inch-high sides.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl to blend. Add butter; using fingertips, rub in until coarse crumbs form. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds. Whisk buttermilk and egg in medium bowl to blend. Add to dough; using a wooden spoon, stir just until well incorporated (dough will be very sticky).
- Transfer dough to prepared skillet; smooth top, mounding slightly in center. Using a small sharp knife dipped into flour, cut 1-inch-deep X in top center of dough. Bake until bread is cooked through. Test by inserting knife into the center and it should come out clean. Usually about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool bread in skillet for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Enjoy on St. Patrick’s Day!
From the professionals at Aimpro Insurance, we hope that you enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations! Visit us in Phoenix, Arizona for all of your insurance needs to suit your budget!