- November 2, 2017
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Article Archives, Home Insurance
Blackouts are unpredictable, but you can be ready.
You usually don’t expect a power outage before it happens. You never know when disaster may strike your home. They are frustrating and troublesome, especially when they last a while with no power in sight. Preparing for an outage starts long before it happens. Here are a few steps you can take now to prepare.
- Develop a preparedness plan and share it with your family. Be sure that everything knows what to expect and what to do in the event of power failure.
- Make a list of emergency contact numbers, such as fire, ambulance, and police services.
- Use surge protectors to protect sensitive electrical equipment such as computers, DVD players, and TVs.
- Prepare an emergency kit and store it in an easy-to-find location. Check it every month to ensure that the kit is well stocked and that all equipment is in good working order and that the food or water is suitable.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit.
What should you pack in an emergency supply kit?
Prepare for the first 72 hours. Stock your emergency kit with these essentials:
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Bottled water (2 liters per person per day)
- Medications for any people
- Copy of your preparedness plan
- Battery or crank operated clock and radio
- Non-perishable, ready-to-eat foods (think peanut butter, canned beans, canned chickpeas)
- Warm clothing and blankets
- Toys, food, and medication for your pet
- Games, cards, and books to keep everyone busy
Now you are ready for any blackout, contact AimPro Insurance to secure the right homeowners insurance for your needs in Phoenix, Arizona. This coverage helps to safeguard your property and belongings through incidents and accidents!