- November 30, 2017
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Article Archives, Home Insurance
Learn more about CO poisoning in your home.
As the cooler temperatures come to California, we are turning to our gas-run heaters and stoves to warm up and cook hearty meals. What many homeowners don’t realize is that a silent killer could be lurking in their home: carbon monoxide. Unsafe gas appliances can produce this highly poisonous gas, and it can cause death as well as serious long-term health problems like brain damage.
CO poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Your body tissue and cells die without oxygen. Even small amounts of gas can cause CO poisoning. Common symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
These symptoms are similar to those of flu and viral infections, meaning it’s more important to be on the lookout for any additional signs that your home has a CO leak. These could include:
- Your symptoms only occur when you’re at home and seem to disappear when you leave.
- Others in your household, including animals, experience similar symptoms and they appear at a similar time.
The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to do the following:
- Fit an Alarm: CO can’t be detected by sight, sound, smell or taste. Your best way to finding out if there is a CO leak is to install an alarm and test it regularly.
- Hire a Pro to Check the Appliances: It’s strongly advised that any gas appliances or flues in the home are installed and serviced regularly by a registered engineer.
- Never Block Ventilation: One cause of CO leaks is a lack of ventilation for stoves, heaters, boilers or coal fires. Ensure that your home’s vents are not blocked by debris or otherwise.
To keep on top of your household safety, protect your home in the best way possible! Visit AimPro Insurance to get started on your tailored homeowners insurance policy in Phoenix, Arizona today.