- February 15, 2018
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Article Archives, Auto Insurance
How to Drive Safely Around Pedestrians
Driving safely on the roads is much more than fastening your seatbelt and merging well with other drivers. In fact, pedestrians pay a large role in staying safe on the roads. Car-pedestrian collisions occur every day in the U.S., with many resulting in fatalities. Fortunately, there are ways drivers can help pedestrians stay safe.
During the Day:
- Create a distraction-free environment in your vehicle before you drive. Set the radio station before you drive off and place phones and devices well out of reach so that you’re not tempted to check your messages. Distracted driving is one of the top causes of collisions, so do your part to avoid distractions.
- Avoid using cruise control in bad weather. Give yourself plenty of time before driving in the rain or at times with poor visibility.
- Continuously scan the road ahead, looking for hazards and crossing pedestrians. While there are designated crosswalks, people may not always use them.
- Slow down in neighborhoods and school districts. Be prepared to stop at any time if a child darts out in front of you.
- Leave plenty of room in-between yourself and the vehicle in front to ensure maximum response time.
- Ensure your lights are working properly so that vehicles and pedestrians can see you clearly.
- If you find yourself becoming drowsy when driving at night, pull over to the side of the road for a quick nap or a coffee.
- Never take the risk of getting behind the wheel after you’ve been drinking.
No matter what time of night or day you hit the road, take care and travel safely. For the auto insurance you need, contact AimPro Insurance in Phoenix, Arizona.