- June 13, 2019
- Posted by: AimPro
- Category: Article Archives, Home Insurance
Defend your property against wildfire with these tips.
Wildfires can impose particular dangers to both lives and property because they often go unnoticed and can spread incredibly quickly. Typically, windborne embers present a significant threat from wildfires and are the primary cause of most building ignitions. Other wildfire threats include radiant heat and direct flame contact.
If you live in an area prone to wildfires, you can help to keep yourself and property safe by taking steps to reduce your risks.
- Create a 10-meter defensible space around your property. Clear away any highly combustible materials in this area.
- Make your roof fire-resistant by constructing it from non-flammable materials.
- Clean out the gutters regularly to ensure they are not harboring flammable material.
- Use a wire mesh screen to cover the vents to keep sparks and embers out of the property.
- Prune trees regularly. Remove dead/diseased/dying branches and get rid of any branches that hang over your roof.
- Keep grass cut short, and the 30-foot area immediately around your home well-watered.
- Create a “fire-resistant zone” in your home that is free of any vegetation.
- Check your insurance policy to ensure your home and belongings are sufficiently insured and that your policy is up to date.
These tips will help you to protect your home against wildfires. When you’re looking to protect your property as best you can, contact your insurance professionals at AimPro Insurance. Our dedicated experts are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.