Protect your home before packing your vacation basics.
The start of summer means that plenty of people are packing up their vacation essentials and traveling the county, state, or world! Every year, between June and August, families, couples, and individuals opt to enjoy their summer in a foreign location away from home.
According to FBI statistics, most communities will experience a 10 to 18 percent increase in home burglaries during this time. Rushing out of the door to enjoy your vacation pronto can cause people to overlook several easy ways to secure their home.
Taking the necessary precautions to protect your home while you’re away will save you those nagging worries so that you can thoroughly enjoy your trip!
- Make sure that all the doors and windows are locked and fastened. Doors should have deadbolt locks!
- Examine your house from the street and make sure that there are no valuables (like expensive electronics or artwork) can be seen from the street. If a passerby can see your belongings, so can criminals.
- Secure sliding glass doors by placing a metal rob or piece of plywood in the track to prevent an intruder from forcing the door open.
- Unplug the power to your automatic garage door to keep thieves from opening it.
- Make it appear as if you’re at home. Use timers on lights, radios, and televisions.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check in on the house, collect the mail, and water your plants.
- Leave clues that you’re away. No matter how excited you are, don’t post your plans on social media. If people see that you’re away for 2 weeks, they may be tempted to enter your home.
- Close your curtains. This is a clear indication that no one is home.
- Hide a key outdoors for your neighbor or friend. Burglars know the best hiding places better than you do.
Be sure to add ‘review homeowners insurance’ to your list of things to do! This will enable you to check your current coverage and update your protection for your home while you’re away. Leave your house protected! For the homeowners insurance that your property deserves, contact AimPro Insurance in Phoenix, Arizona. Learn more about how we can help your needed home insurance.