- December 26, 2014
- Posted by: Aimpro Insurance
- Category: Article Archives
Tips for Driving in the Rain
While watching rain outside your window can be very relaxing, driving in the rain can be a very stressful and scary experience. To ensure that you stay safe on wet roads this season, keep these safe driving tips in mind.
- Turn on your headlights – even if you have running lights, turn on your headlights when it rains. Although it will not really help you see any better during a daytime downpour, it will make it much easier for others to see you.
- Never use your flashers if you are moving – flashers, or hazard lights, are meant to alert other drivers to when you are stopped. If your hazard lights are on while you are driving, other drivers will swerve dangerously to try and avoid your car.
- Stay in the middle lanes – rain tends to pool in the outer lanes of roads before making it to the middle lanes. If you stay in the middle lanes, you are less likely to hit large puddles of water.
- Know how to handle hydroplaning – no matter how carefully you drive in the rain, there is always a chance that you will hydroplane. If you do start to hydroplane, do not slam on your brakes. Instead, try to steer towards an open area. If your car has anti-lock brakes, ease up on the gas, but do not completely take your foot off the pedal. If your car does not have anti-lock brakes and is a rear-wheel drive, take your foot off the gas completely while you steer towards the open area.
Having the right auto insurance policy is the best way to ensure that you and your loved ones are protected every time you get behind the wheel. Contact the insurance professionals at Aimpro Insurance in Phoenix, Arizona for all of your auto insurance needs.