- October 11, 2018
- Posted by: AimPro
- Category: Article Archives, Lifestyle
Get involved with these ways to observe Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in U.S. women, second only to lung cancer. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. Although most people are aware of breast cancer, many forget to take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages and encourage others to do the same.
During October, the media often does public service announcements reminding women about the importance of breast self-exams, clinical breast exams, and mammograms. If you are overdue for an exam, be sure to book one in as soon as possible. It’s recommended that women over the age of 40 receive mammograms for a better chance of early detection.
To help support the campaign and create awareness, check out these different ways to get involved.
- Make an appointment for a mammogram if you are over 40
- Do your monthly self-breast exam
- Set up a reminder for your monthly self-check and yearly mammogram
- Quit smoking
- Cut back on alcohol
- Start exercising regularly
- Eat an extra serving of fruits or vegetables at every meal
- Talk to your kids about breast cancer risk factors like smoking and alcohol
- Host a fundraiser to raise money for charities that research the cancer and support the lives of women living with it
- Attend fundraising events
- Share information about breast cancer on your social media profiles
- Wear pink!
- Volunteer at your local cancer charity
Let us know how you are getting involved in Breast Cancer Awareness Month! The team at AimPro Insurance encourages you to get active in this campaign! For all of your insurance needs and the peace of mind knowing you’re protected, talk to us to discuss insurance options. We serve Phoenix and neighboring cities in Arizona