Prep your living quarters before bringing the baby home!
If you’re currently pregnant, you may be in the midst of attending doctors’ appointments, decorating the nursery, and attempting to satisfy your food cravings. Of course, once your newborn is born, the journey from the hospital to home will likely be one of your safest drives. Protecting your bundle of joy will consume your life.
But before bringing the little one home from the hospital, take some time to baby-proof your home! Nobody should put a baby in a dangerous environment, so be sure to put these tips into practice early on!
- No strings attached: Keep long strings, cords, or ribbons away from infants and young children.
- House hunt: Look around your house for small objects that can be swallowed. Even coins, buttons, dropped flower petals, or a deflated balloon can pose a choking risk! Remove all immediately.
- Cool down: Use anti-scald devices for faucets and showerheads, and lower your water heater settings. Bath water for a baby should be 100 degrees Fahrenheit (always do the go-to parent trick of testing bath water with your elbow first!)
- Never cut corners: Install corner and edge bumpers for tables and other furniture to help prevent injuries from falls when you baby reaches walking age!
- Top-heavy dangers: Anchor heavy furniture and appliances that could fall on young children. Even a TV or small bookshelf can cause significant injuries!
- Veggie snack: Move plants off the floor. Many are poisonous to humans and pets. The key culprits are irises and poinsettias.
- Children will be children: Replace all sockets with childproof sockets. Most young children are curious enough to stick their fingers in empty sockets.
- Don’t kill Mickey: Remove all mouse traps in your home. Find a way to humanely catch mice if they are pests in your home.
- Hush little baby: If you haven’t already, get a baby monitor to listen for cries!
- Secure areas: Install baby gates at entry points to danger zones such as basements, utility rooms, etc.
When looking to protect your child now, for the future, and beyond, call your insurer to secure all of your insurance policies. For all of your home, auto, and more insurance needs, contact the professionals at Aimpro Insurance in Phoenix, Arizona. Our experts understand the importance of protecting your growing family for every bump in the road!